Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tech Tools - iPad

When I first found out that as part of the MBA program we would be given iPads that would be utilized throughout our entire program I was a little nervous. I have a laptop, I have an iPod touch, I have a Kindle, I wasn't sure what an iPad could provide for me that I didn't have already. My boss, however, thought it was great. He had recently convinced our company that certain people (himself being one of course) needed iPads.

My main concern comes from the fact that I hate the idea of being constantly connected. Whether it be to school or work I like having time when I am completely unplugged and I viewed the iPad as just another device to put me further away from that. I was wrong, mostly.

I still like being able to disconnect, but an iPad doesn't detract from that and I have found it to be very useful. As I mentioned my boss uses his frequently at work and in meetings so he is open to me having mine as well. One of the apps I use most is Evernote for both school and work. I like that I can take notes easily and am able to take pictures and video clips when needed as well. Since my building has wireless as well it is nice to use as a reference tool when needed to pull something up in a meeting or access email in case I need something I didn't think it bring with me.

While I am still diving into everything the iPad has to offer, the more I learn the more useful it becomes to me on a daily basis. At work, my boss and the small test group that has received iPads has found them useful to the point that going into our new fiscal year we are replacing our travel laptops with them and going forward replacing most laptops in the buildings with iPads.

No comments:

Post a Comment